Happy goat year everyone! Was very busy after tender my letter and started preparation for Chinese New Year!
I’m so excited to share with you guys this special recipe if you realised that you have too many mandarin oranges at home or going to spoil soon!
Mandarin Orange Pie
Ingredients: (can make 8 big slices)
3 to 4 mandarin orange
3 eggs white
4 tablespoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/5 cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
1. Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl and mixed. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients and mixed it until it’s in pea-size pieces that are slightly yellow in color, about 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Slowly put in 4 tablespoons of the ice water and mix just until the dough comes together.
3. Shape the dough into the pie mould, cover it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
4. Put in a preheat 220 degree Celsius oven for about 20mins or till crust is golden brown. Once done put it aside
1. Removed mandarin orange skin/fibre. Put it aside
2. Using stand mixer: Slowly (low speed) whisk the egg whites till foamy then add in lemon juice slowly at the side. Add sugar in a stream, slowly at the side of the bowl while the whites are being whipped; do not dump it in the center. Increase speed to medium, then to medium-high when foam become smaller and increase in size. Whisk till firm peak.
3. Mixed mandarin orange together with the whisked egg whites.
4. Spread the mixture onto the pie crust evenly. Put it into the oven immediately, don’t let it sit.
5. Preheat the oven at 170 degree Celsius and bake for another 10-15mins or till golden brown. (as shown in the photo)
My girl so anxious to try!
I don’t like cream so I thought of using whisked egg whites to add as my fillings a d it turns out not bad! Hope you enjoy this special mandarin orange pie!